Monday, August 24, 2009

The Unfinished Gift is on Kindle

What's a Kindle and why is this news?

As you can see from the picture, a Kindle is a digital bookreader. It's made by Amazon. It's not cheap (on sale now for $299). Now, I won't buy one. I like the feel of real books with pages and don't see that changing. But people who buy the Kindle swear by it and most don't return to conventional books again if they can help it (like my wife).

Critics say this devotion is really because buyers feel like they have to justify all that upfront expense, not because they love it so much. That's not my wife's story. She loves it that much.

Here's some of the reasons my wife loves hers:
  • It feels like a book, sort of. Pages turn. Battery lasts a long time.
  • She can carry a whole bookshelf full of books in a device that weighs less than one book.
  • She can adjust the font size in a few clicks.
  • Even new releases only cost $10, older ones much less.
  • It stays hooked to Amazon's Kindle store by cell phone technology, she doesn't have to be hooked to a computer to order one (she just about has to make a wish and it magically appears).
Whatever the reason for this Kindle-devotion, the reason I'm glad my book is now on Kindle, is that now Kindle owners may actually buy my book too. I didn't stand a chance with them before.

No comments:

Post a Comment